TAMBORA MT. (2,850 Masl)
” Number one the big caldera from Indonesia ”
Mount Tambora (or Tamboro) is an active stratovolcano, also known as a composite volcano, on the island of Sumbawa, Indonesia. Sumbawa is flanked both to the north and south by oceanic crust, and Tambora was formed by the active subduction zone beneath it. This raised Mount Tambora as high as 4,300 m (14,100 ft), making it formerly one of the tallest peaks in the Indonesian archipelago. After a large magma chamber inside the mountain filled over the course of several decades, volcanic activity reached a historic climax in the super-colossal eruption of April 1815.The 1815 eruption is rated 7 on the Volcanic Explosivity Index, the only such eruption since the Lake Taupo eruption in about 180 AD.
With an estimated ejecta volume of 160 cubic kilometers, Tambora’s 1815 outburst was the largest volcanic eruption in recorded history. The explosion was heard on Sumatra island (more than 2,000 km (1,200 mi) away). Heavy volcanic ash falls were observed as far away as Borneo, Sulawesi, Java and Maluku islands. Most deaths from the eruption were from starvation and disease, as the eruptive fallout ruined agricultural productivity in the local region. The death toll was at least 71,000 people (the most deadly eruption in recorded history), of whom 11,000–12,000 were killed directly by the eruption; the often-cited figure of 92,000 people killed is believed to be overestimated.
The eruption created global climate anomalies that included the phenomenon known as “volcanic winter”: 1816 became known as the “Year Without a Summer” because of the effect on North American and European weather. Agricultural crops failed and livestock died in much of the Northern Hemisphere, resulting in the worst famine of the 19th century. During an excavation in 2004, a team of archaeologists discovered cultural remains buried by the 1815 eruption. They were kept intact beneath the 3 m (9.8 ft) deep pyroclastic deposits. At the site, dubbed the Pompeii of the East, the artifacts were preserved in the positions they had occupied in 1815.
- Location : Mount Tambora, Pancasila village, Sumbawa, NTB-Indonesia
- Track : Pancasila Gate
- Type : Hard trekking with 2 night of camping in tent
- Best Season : All year round, best is June-September
- Trip level : Strenuous, physical fitness is required
- All duration : 7 Days 6 Nights
- Trekking duration : 3 Days 2 Nights
- Reservation : Booking trip min 30 days before the trip begin (H-30)
This list is required gear. Some items may be adjusted or changed after you gear check with your CIMARA guide(s) depending on specific route and weather requirements that may change at the time of your climb / trek. An Important note as you pack : we are under weight restrictions with our porters so each item must be considered in light of its functionality and utility. Your bags will be weighed at several points during the trip and excess weight is generally not an option. Consider this carefully as you select your gear. This breakdown is provided as a quick checklist for your convenience. Additional clarification and descriptions of these items will be provided below the checklist.
If you still have questions, the CIMARA ADVENTURE can help.
- Travel documentation (Passport and Visa) copy
- Health certificate
- Trekking poles
- Backpack & Backpack Cover
- Cap/Hat & Balaclava
- Personal snack (Protein bars, chocolate, dried fruits, candies and snack food
- Headlamp/hand torch light & Batteries
- Sun glasses & Sun screen, or any other thing that will protect you from getting sun burnt
- Travel equipment for shower (toothbrush, toothpaste, towel, soap, etc)
- Hiking shoes. Boots are preferable, if not, you can bring the most comfortable sport shoes you have.
- Rain coat and/or Wind and waterproof breaker. You will need to bring it to the summit to break the wind
- Sandals/flip flops
- Enough socks (For sleep and trekking)
- Water bottle/Water bladder
- Drifit t-shirt, Long sleeve shirt, cotton or light weights pants (non-denim or jeans material), warm clothes, Down jackets, Hand gloves (it can be very chilly on the summit), Sweater or all of them if necessary.
- Personal medications. We will provide standard first aid kit tools, but please bring your own prescribed medication. And please let us know if you have and medical conditions
- Dont forget to bring your good mood
Please note that this list is only suggestion. You can add more equipment based on your personal needs.
Meeting Point : Lombok International Airport
- Transportation from meeting point to Pancasila village (Full AC+Driver+Petrol)
- Retribution Pancasila Mountain ( Permit, all government and local taxes )
- One night at hotel/villa/homestay Pancasila village, breakfast include
- Meals during trekking (indicated in the itinerary)
- Camping equipment (Mattress, Summer time tents for 4 person, sleeping bag), Cooking stove
- Mineral Waters ( 3 litters for 3 days ) or fruits during hiking days
- T-shirt from CIMARA ADVENTURE
- Guide(s) from CIMARA ADVENTURE
- Standard first aid kit tools (Plester Hypafix, Betadine, Hidrocortison Ointment, Bioplacenton gel, Paracetamol 500g, loperamid, Domperidon, Antasida, Dexamethason, Spuit 3cc, Oxycan, pocari sweat sachets)
Not Include :
- Personal expenses (Snack, alcoholic beverages, souvenirs, personal medications)
- Items that are not mentioned in “included”
- Airport tax
- Transport from home to meet point
- Tips for guide(s) and porter(s)